- 4 onions – finely chopped
- 1 lb mixed nuts and seeds e.g. Peanuts, almonds cashews, walnuts, brazils, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds – chopped in food processor to size of black peppercorns
- ½ lb rolled oats
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup light tahini (or peanut butter slaked in milk)
- ½ generous cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tblsp miso or 1 tbspn Marmite – dissolved in ¼ pint warm water
- 2 tbspn soya sauce
Makes approximately 18 nutty vegetarian burgers
Lightly fry onions in sunflower oil until soft.
Mix all the ingredients together in large mixing bowl until heavy and glutinous mass.
If too sloppy add more oats, if too dry add more water. The texture is very important.
When formed the burgers should hold their shape well.
Weigh out mixture into 3 oz portions and shape into burgers, rolling and covering in 100 % whole wheat flour.
Lightly fry the burgers in sunflower oil until brown on both sides.