A good diet will assist in maintaining a healthy body weight, improving general well-being and reducing the risk of a number of conditions, such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and osteoporosis.
Our Nutritionists provide a personal service for those who need help and advice with, the following:
- Nutritional Therapy for specific health problems
- Weight management programmes
- Creation of sustainable healthy eating plans
- Achieving optimum health and fitness
- Healthy conception and pregnancy
- Sports nutrition
Natural Nutrition and Naturopathy
A first consultation will take into account your personal health history, from birth to the present day; it will take into account any family health issues, diet throughout your life and any disease/symptoms you may have now. This will form the basis of a follow up consultation, where you will learn how to begin correcting any health challenges using the appropriate natural nutrition for your body. Knowledge of what kinds of fluids and foods are best for you will enable you to regain your health and vitality. Naturopathic techniques can support this process and help the body function more efficiently.
Melanie Smith BSc (Hons) Nutrition, BA (Hons) Health Studies, ANutr
Melanie is a registered Nutritionist working in Broadstone, Poole.
Her mission is to help you eat better, feel better about yourself and to give you
the tools to enjoy optimal nutrition.
Melanie will help you:
- Learn about your current diet and help you understand any deficiencies or excesses.
- Tweak your diet to achieve optimal nutrition.
- Achieve your personal weight goal.
- Look at food differently.
Training, qualifications & experience
Melanie Smith BSc, BA, ANutr
Bachelor of Science in Nutrition from Bournemouth University
Bachelor of Arts in Health Science from Open University
Member of the Association of Nutrition
Areas of nutrition dealt with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Balanced diet
- Healthy eating
- Infants and pre-school children
- Life stages
- Obesity *
- Schoolchildren and teenagers
- Weight gain
- Weight management
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
What does a one-to-one consultation involve?
The initial step involves completing and returning a detailed questionnaire about your current health, lifestyle and diet. It also includes a short food diary. The information you provide enables a thorough assessment of your current nutritional status.
The first consultation lasts about 1 hour, during which time I take a thorough medical, dietary and lifestyle history. We discuss any health issues you may have and prepare a programme to meet your individual needs and circumstances. Follow-up consultations usually take place after 4 weeks and then as needed review progress and fine-tune the programme. In between consultations, support and advice is available via telephone and e-mail.
The nutritional programme usually includes advice on dietary and lifestyle changes, naturopathic techniques and an individual, tailor made supplement programme.
Cost Initial consultation (approx. 1hr) £60
A follow-up consultation (approx. 30mins) is included in this fee.
Follow-up consultations after that are £30 (approx. 30mins)
Learn more about Melanie here.