- 3 carrots, 2 apples, 1 lemon, 1 orange, 1 pear
- 1 red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 red, green, or yellow pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 zucchinis, halved lengthwise and cut into ¾” pieces
- ½ cup golden raisins, ½ cup sultanas and ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 ½ cups medium bulghur or cous cous
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom, (ie seeds inside cardamom pods)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ cup toasted flake almonds
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Juice fruit and place in bowl. Pour in bulghur or cous cous to about ½ inch below level of fluid and leave for ½ hour until fluid soaked into grain. It should be light and fluffy. If too much fluid add more bulghur or cous cous. If grain too dry add more juice.
Place a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Stir in all spices and gently toast until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in oil and onion, cook until softened. Stir in the bell pepper, and zucchini; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the raisins, sultanas and apricots. Add the soaked bulghur and place in terracotta bowl. Cover with aluminium foil and cook in high oven for about 40 minutes until heated through and the vegetables tender. Serve with toasted flaked almonds on top.